- 1 What is Moroccan culture known for?
- 2 What should I know about Moroccan culture?
- 3 Can you kiss in Morocco?
- 4 What is considered rude in Morocco?
- 5 Do I need to wear a headscarf in Morocco?
- 6 Can I wear shorts in Morocco?
- 7 What should I avoid in Morocco?
- 8 How can I impress a Moroccan girl?
- 9 Do Moroccans shake hands?
- 10 Can an unmarried couple stay in a hotel in Morocco?
- 11 Can unmarried couples sleep together in Morocco?
- 12 Is it safe to go to Morocco as a female?
- 13 Do people eat with their hands in Morocco?
- 14 What religion are most Moroccans?
- 15 What is considered beautiful in Morocco?
What is Moroccan culture known for?
The cultural diversity of the nation of Morocco is a thing of awe and wonder. Its pisé mud-brick Berber architecture, Spanish Andalusian-influenced melhoune music, and delicious spices of ras el hanout are just a few of the North African country’s signature charms.
What should I know about Moroccan culture?
Morocco guide: 10 things to know before you go
- Cafes dominate life in Tangier.
- Most mosques are off-limits to non-Muslims.
- Multilingual Moroccans will put you to shame.
- Don’t get stuck in Marrakesh.
- If you don’t like cumin, you may starve.
- Trains are cheap, comfortable and reliable.
- Couscous is served on Fridays.
- Riad rooftops rock.
Can you kiss in Morocco?
In Morocco, locals do not kiss in public. Never. It’s against the law, especially before marriage (it is forbidden publicly or not). Kissing in public is “an act of aggression against Moroccan Muslim society and people” a behavior otherwise deemed “indecent” by the authorities of the country.
What is considered rude in Morocco?
In Morocco, the left hand is reserved for bathroom hygiene and dirty chores. So it is considered incredibly rude to eat, shake hands, give a gift, or leave a tip with your left hand.
Do I need to wear a headscarf in Morocco?
1. Yes, you should dress conservatively. Morocco is a Muslim-majority country, and you’ll find most women there dressed very modestly, usually wearing a hijab or other kind of headscarf. Female tourists to Morocco are NOT required to cover their heads, though, and I didn’t feel uncomfortable with my hair out.
Can I wear shorts in Morocco?
BOTTOMS. Cultural Guidelines: Moroccan men don’t usually wear shorts. However, as tourists, it will be fine for you to wear shorts. If you want to fit in a little better, then you could consider packing long pants.
What should I avoid in Morocco?
11 Things That Tourists Should Never Do in Morocco, Ever
- Disrespect Islam.
- Disrespect the Monarchy.
- Use Your Left Hand to Eat With.
- Walk Around in Beachwear (Away From the Beach)
- Expect Everyone to Speak English.
- Limit Your Stay to Marrakech.
- Expect Casablanca to Be Like the Movie.
- Think fez hats come from the city of Fez.
How can I impress a Moroccan girl?
There are so many well educated Moroccan women, who come from good families and who do have values and principles. Same way as you might impress a girl from any other country:
- be kind (to others, by reputation, not just in front of her to impress her)
- dress well (especially in public.
- wash often (not in public)
Do Moroccans shake hands?
Traditionally, Moroccans typically greet with a handshake and sometimes two kisses (starting with the left cheek) but this only occurs when the two people greeting are of the same sex. All greetings, dining manners and other gestures should be done with your right hand.
Can an unmarried couple stay in a hotel in Morocco?
Unmarried couples are allowed to share hotel rooms providing they both are non-morrocan, as evidenced by your passport.
Can unmarried couples sleep together in Morocco?
It is against the law in Morocco for unmarried Moroccan couples to sleep together in the same room. This can sometimes impact non- Moroccans with accommodation imposing a blanket ban on unmarried couples sharing rooms at their own discretion.
Is it safe to go to Morocco as a female?
Morocco is safe for female tourists. Also know tourists are given quite a bit of leeway when it comes to dress and behavior. You don’t not need to dress or act as locals would. There’s no dress code for Morocco, though a general amount of respect is appreciated and advised.
Do people eat with their hands in Morocco?
Moroccans don’t eat with their left hands. Left hands are considered the “dirty hand ” as they are traditionally used for hygienic duties. When eating tajine, you will be given bread to dip into the middle dish.
What religion are most Moroccans?
The main religion in Morocco is Islam, which is the state religion, however freedom of religious belief is always guaranteed to all. Officially, 99% of the population are Muslim, and virtually all of those are Sunni.
What is considered beautiful in Morocco?
The standards of beauty in Morocco are mostly European ones, Moroccans like light skin, light colored eyes and straight light hair (preferably long) and a slim figure. While I have seen beautiful women in all shapes and colors in Morocco, the Moroccan society link beauty to European features.