- 1 What do I need to know about visiting Morocco?
- 2 What should I avoid in Morocco?
- 3 Is Morocco dangerous for tourists?
- 4 Can you hug and kiss in Morocco?
- 5 Can unmarried couples sleep together in Morocco?
- 6 Is Morocco expensive to travel?
- 7 Can you drink alcohol in Morocco?
- 8 Do I have to wear a hijab in Morocco?
- 9 What is considered rude in Morocco?
- 10 Do they speak English in Morocco?
- 11 How many tourists go to Morocco each year?
- 12 Is Casablanca worth visiting?
- 13 Can unmarried couples share a hotel room in Morocco?
- 14 Is there death penalty in Morocco?
- 15 Can you wear shorts in Morocco?
What do I need to know about visiting Morocco?
Morocco guide: 10 things to know before you go
- Cafes dominate life in Tangier.
- Most mosques are off-limits to non-Muslims.
- Multilingual Moroccans will put you to shame.
- Don’t get stuck in Marrakesh.
- If you don’t like cumin, you may starve.
- Trains are cheap, comfortable and reliable.
- Couscous is served on Fridays.
- Riad rooftops rock.
What should I avoid in Morocco?
11 Things That Tourists Should Never Do in Morocco, Ever
- Disrespect Islam.
- Disrespect the Monarchy.
- Use Your Left Hand to Eat With.
- Walk Around in Beachwear (Away From the Beach)
- Expect Everyone to Speak English.
- Limit Your Stay to Marrakech.
- Expect Casablanca to Be Like the Movie.
- Think fez hats come from the city of Fez.
Is Morocco dangerous for tourists?
In truth, Morocco is a safe place to visit. There’s only really small crime there (scams and pickpockets) and you’re unlikely to be assaulted or seriously hurt as a tourist in the country. Morocco is super safe for tourists now. Petty crime is rampant here, especially against tourists.
Can you hug and kiss in Morocco?
It’s very uncommon and frowned on to show a lot of affection in public. Holding hands in Morocco is fine. A hug here or there, a stolen kiss all fine in most situations. The more rural you are the more frowned on public displays of affection are.
Can unmarried couples sleep together in Morocco?
It is against the law in Morocco for unmarried Moroccan couples to sleep together in the same room. This can sometimes impact non- Moroccans with accommodation imposing a blanket ban on unmarried couples sharing rooms at their own discretion.
Is Morocco expensive to travel?
Morocco is often thought of as a good destination for budget travelers. And while traveling in Morocco is much cheaper than Europe, Japan, Australia, or other parts of the world, it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be depending on your travel style.
Can you drink alcohol in Morocco?
Alcohol. Yes, you can drink alcohol in Morocco without offending local sensibilities, as long as you do it discreetly.
Do I have to wear a hijab in Morocco?
While some boys and young men wear shorts in public, it is less common, particularly among adult men. Morocco is sweltering in the summer months; however, it’s still necessary to cover the shoulders and legs. It’s not necessary for non-Muslim women to wear a hijab, or a veil that conceals a woman’s hair.
What is considered rude in Morocco?
In Morocco, the left hand is reserved for bathroom hygiene and dirty chores. So it is considered incredibly rude to eat, shake hands, give a gift, or leave a tip with your left hand.
Do they speak English in Morocco?
There are a number of languages of Morocco. The two official languages are Standard Arabic and Tamazight. According to a 2012 study by the Government of Spain, 98% of Moroccans spoke Moroccan Arabic, 63% spoke French, 43% Amazigh, 14% spoke English, and 10% spoke Spanish.
How many tourists go to Morocco each year?
Most hotels in Morocco are also more tailored to the needs of foreign tourists. Domestic tourism represents 30% of hotel arrivals, and 1 million Moroccans go abroad every year, spending $2 billion.
Is Casablanca worth visiting?
Casablanca in Morocco is often overlooked as a travel destination, since most tourists bypass Morocco’s largest city and head on to Marrakech and Fes. But instead of immediately hopping on a train or connecting flight, it’s worth it to spend at least a day or two discovering all the things to do in Casablanca, Morocco.
Sexual contact between unmarried people is prohibited, under Article 490 of the Moroccan penal code. And as such, it is technically illegal for unmarried couples to share a hotel room.
Is there death penalty in Morocco?
Morocco is a de facto abolitionist country, having not carried out any execution since 1993.
Can you wear shorts in Morocco?
BOTTOMS. Cultural Guidelines: Moroccan men don’t usually wear shorts. However, as tourists, it will be fine for you to wear shorts. If you want to fit in a little better, then you could consider packing long pants.