- 1 What is the difference between a Medina and a Kasbah?
- 2 What country is the Casbah in?
- 3 Why is it called Morocco?
- 4 What should I avoid in Morocco?
- 5 What can you not eat in Morocco?
- 6 What does Kasbah mean in English?
- 7 Is the Casbah dangerous?
- 8 Can you drink alcohol in Algeria?
- 9 Is Morocco a poor country?
- 10 Can I wear shorts in Morocco?
- 11 What are 5 interesting facts about Morocco?
- 12 What is considered rude in Morocco?
- 13 Do I have to wear a hijab in Morocco?
- 14 Is it safe to visit Morocco in 2020?
What is the difference between a Medina and a Kasbah?
As nouns the difference between medina and casbah is that medina is the traditional, old or non-european area of a north african town while casbah is the fortress in a city in north africa or the middle east.
What country is the Casbah in?
The Casbah (Arabic: قصبة, qaṣba, meaning citadel) is the citadel of Algiers in Algeria and the traditional quarter clustered around it.
Why is it called Morocco?
The word ” Morocco ” is ultimately derived from the name of the city of Marrakesh, which was its capital under the Almoravid dynasty and the Almohad Caliphate. The origin of the name Marrakesh is disputed, but it most likely comes from the Berber words amur (n) akush (ⴰⵎⵓⵔ ⵏ ⴰⴽⵓⵛ), meaning “Land of God”.
What should I avoid in Morocco?
11 Things That Tourists Should Never Do in Morocco, Ever
- Disrespect Islam.
- Disrespect the Monarchy.
- Use Your Left Hand to Eat With.
- Walk Around in Beachwear (Away From the Beach)
- Expect Everyone to Speak English.
- Limit Your Stay to Marrakech.
- Expect Casablanca to Be Like the Movie.
- Think fez hats come from the city of Fez.
What can you not eat in Morocco?
11 Things Tourists Should Never Eat or Drink in Morocco
- Snails. If you aren’t a fan of going out of your comfort zone when it comes to food, you better steer clear of the snails.
- Cookies from carts. Often when walking down the street in Morocco you’ll spot a nice cart full of traditional cookies.
- Street food vendors.
- Fruit and vegetables.
What does Kasbah mean in English?
The meaning of the word kasbah is varied, including “keep”, “old city” and “watchtower” or “blockhouse”.
Is the Casbah dangerous?
The 1966 film The Battle of Algiers is a starting point to get an insight into Casbah life, back then, but now it continues to be a residential area where businesses reside, but remains on official blacklists. As recently as the 1990s it was considered one of the world’s most dangerous places.
Can you drink alcohol in Algeria?
Drinks & Alcohol. Algeria is a Muslim country, though a pretty liberal one, so can you not find alcohol everywhere. You will have to know where to find it. High-end restaurants and hotels sell it. Also a few unmarked bars around the big cities.
Is Morocco a poor country?
The living standards in Morocco is rated as low. It is by international standards that Morocco is considered a poor country. Out of the 35.2 million population of the country in 2018, some of them are poor and at risk of poverty. It is ranked as the fourth most impoverished country in the Arab world in 2013.
Can I wear shorts in Morocco?
BOTTOMS. Cultural Guidelines: Moroccan men don’t usually wear shorts. However, as tourists, it will be fine for you to wear shorts. If you want to fit in a little better, then you could consider packing long pants.
What are 5 interesting facts about Morocco?
The Best Facts about Morocco
- Morocco in Arabic is Al Maghreb which means the place where the sun sets.
- It borders two seas.
- It is only 8 miles from Europe.
- There are no camels in Morocco only dromedaries.
- Berbers make up around 40% of the population.
- The best rapper in the country is called Muslim.
- Morocco is a Muslim country.
What is considered rude in Morocco?
In Morocco, the left hand is reserved for bathroom hygiene and dirty chores. So it is considered incredibly rude to eat, shake hands, give a gift, or leave a tip with your left hand.
Do I have to wear a hijab in Morocco?
While some boys and young men wear shorts in public, it is less common, particularly among adult men. Morocco is sweltering in the summer months; however, it’s still necessary to cover the shoulders and legs. It’s not necessary for non-Muslim women to wear a hijab, or a veil that conceals a woman’s hair.
Is it safe to visit Morocco in 2020?
In truth, Morocco is a safe place to visit. There’s only really small crime there (scams and pickpockets) and you’re unlikely to be assaulted or seriously hurt as a tourist in the country. Morocco is super safe for tourists now. Morocco travel requires extra vigilance because it’s easy to have something happen to you.